Friday, July 11, 2008

PIZZA SOUP!!

Today I made pizza soup for dinner. It was a huge success. I used my crock pot which I have a bit of a love for. I hardly ever get to use it, but I've been exploring the possibilities via a blog called 365 Days of Crockpotting. I rustled this recipe up from my mother who used to make this in a pot, and I thought, why the hell can't I make it in a crock pot?

Pizza Soup - Crockpot Style

  • 1 Jar (approx 350ml) of pizza sauce
  • 1 cup of diced tomatoes OR 1 cup of canned tomatoes
  • 1 cup of mushrooms (you can dice them or leave them whole in case you have picky mushroom eaters, or omit them altogether if you want)
  • One half of a large green pepper, diced
  • One half of a red onion (they're actually purple), diced
  • 1 cup (or more if you want!) pepperoni, sliced
  • 1 cup cooked italian sausage, removed from casing and crumbled
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 4 cups of water
  • 1 small pack of fresh or frozen tortellini (I used Oliverei three cheese and herb) or any type of pasta you want, just dont use too much or it will turn into a stew.
  • 1 tbsp oregano
  • 1 tbsp basil
  • 1 tbsp parsley
  • 1 clove of garlic, finely minced
  • grated mozzarella cheese
  • grated parmesean cheese
In a frying pan, add your olive oil and sautee the onions, green peppers and mushrooms over medium heat until the onions become translucent. Add to crockpot with remaining ingredients MINUS the cheese AND tortellini. Near the last 45 minutes of cooking, add the pasta.

Set on high for 3-4 hours or low for 5-6 hours. Stir about every hour.

Serve Pizza Soup in individual bowls with a generous portion of mozza cheese and parmesean cheese on top. YAY DELISH.



Other than cooking, I cleaned the floors today. WHOPPEE MY LIFE IS SO EXCITING.

No comments: