Friday, August 29, 2008

Two days off isn't enough

It REALLY isnt.

So today Brandon and I went to see Hamelt 2. It was alright. Jo Blo gave it 9/10, but I honestly don't think it was anything THAT good. It was more of a slapstick humor, which I'm really not a big fan of. Gotta love that Sexy Jesus song, though.

Speaking of Jesus, I've really been contemplating religion lately. I've been trying to wrap my head around a couple of things...hmm how to I put this correctly. I was thinking about the Mormon religion, because it's one of those religions that I don't understand. Well that's not fully true. I understand what they believe, but I don't understand how anyone COULD believe it.

Ok, so if you don't really know a lot about the Mormon religion, you can Google search it or Wikipedia Search it...I'll try to do my best to explain *what I don't understand* without butchering the religion.

Mormonism was founded by a man named Joseph Smith. Joseph had visions, starting at the age of 14. When he went to his minister to explain these visions, he was basically told that visions did not exist, and that there would be no more of them, and that they were of the devil. During his youth, he participated in Treasure Hunts using "seer stones". These stones were put into hats and then one would look inside the hat and block out the light, then attempt to locate the treasure by seeing information on the stone. They were just ROCKS, but I would assume that they had some sort of personal significance.

Smith claimed that he was visited by an angel named Moroni, who told him the location of a book inscibed on golden plates that was buried in the ground. This book would tell the story of the "Israelites" of America and how God dealt with them. So, Smith dug up these golden plates and used his hat and his seer stones to translate them. ONLY Smith was allowed to translate the plates and view them.

So if you're not following, A GUY USED A HAT AND A ROCK TO WRITE THE BOOK OF MORMON WITH GOLDEN PLATES DUG UP FROM THE GROUND THAT ONLY HE COULD SEE.

And there you have it, from there stemmed the Mormon religion and everything else that follows.

So, when a Mormon knocks on my door and asks me if I'd like to learn and join the following of their chuch...IT TAKES SO MUCH OF MY PERSONAL STRENGTH NOT TO GRAB THEM BY THE SHOULDERS AND SHAKE SOME SENSE INTO THEM.

But I can explain this homemade religion phenomenon. That's right.

In today's society, people follow other's mostly because they're famous. Think about it...how many big rock bands have huge "religious" followings? How many celebrities have their own convect of people? In order to make something of yourself you have to be known, you have to be famous. We do it today with movies and music and political statements, etc etc.

So how do you do it in the 1700s?

YOU MAKE UP YOUR OWN RELIGION!! People believe it, you gather followers...Joseph Smith is forever burned into history. He was a 1700s rock idol.

...Sorry if I offended anyone. BUT MAYBE I CHANGED YOUR BELIEFS!!

No comments: